Atoka County, Oklahoma Genealogy
part of the OKGenWeb and USGenWeb Project
Home | Cemeteries | Census | Lookups | Master_Index | Obits | Photos | Queries | Resources | Surnames | Towns in Atoka Co. | State Resources

Towns of Atoka County:

I would love to have more information on these towns. If you have anything you can contribute, please send information to the county coordinator.

If there is more information on each town, the town name will link to that page.

Atoka County seat of Atoka county. Record Town for Recording District No. 23, Indian Territory. Post office established January 23, 1868. It was named for Captain Atoka, for whom the county was later named.
Bentley In southern Atoka County, 12 miles south of Atoka. A post office from Jun 1, 1903, to August 30, 1963. Named for Professor Alva Bentley, territorial educator.
Blackjack  
Boehler Boehler is in southeast Atoka county and is located 10 miles north of Boswell, just 1 mile over the county line.
Boggy Depot In Atoka County, 14 miles southwest of AToka. Post office established November 5, 1849. On March 22, 1872, it was moved 1 1/2 miles south and name changed to New Boggy Depot, which in turn, on December 26, 1883, was changed to Boggy Depot. Post office discontinued July 31, 1944. Took its name from nearby Boggy Creek, a name derived from the French vaseus, meaning "muddy" or "slimy".
Bruno In Atoka county, 4 miles southeast of Atoka. Post office established September 17, 1910, and discontinuted March 31, 1925.
Bur Post office from 1920-1921
Calloway In southern Atoka County, 9 miles south of Atoka. A post office from March 6, 1901, to February 28, 1911.
Caney In southern Atoka County. Post office established June 20, 1888. It took its name from Caney Switch on the Katy Railroad, located 1 mile north.
Caney Switch In southern Atoka county, 1 mile north of present-day Chaney. A post office for a short period in 1879, it took its name from nearby Caney Creek, a popular name for streams, referring to cane brakes along the course. AT that time the railhead for Fort Sill.
Chickiechockie In Atoka County, 3 miles south of Limestone Gap, Post office established June 17, 1891, and name changed to Chockie, February 8, 1904. Named for Chickie and Chockie, the two daughters of Charles LeFlore. Chickie was later Mrs. Lee Cruce, Oklahoma's second First Lady.
Chockie Formerly Chickiechockie. In Atoka county, 11 miles northeast of Stringtown. Post office name changed to Chockie, February 8, 1904, and discontinued March 15, 1905. On August 3, 1916, a nearby post office, Rich, was renamed Chockie, which, in turn was discontinued November 30, 1934. Named for Chockie LeFlore, daughter of Charles LeFlore.
Copeland In Atoka county, 8 miles west of Atoka. A post office from February 13, 1904, to July 31, 1912, it was named for William T. Copeland, first postmaster.
Crystal In southern Atoka county, 18 miles southeast of Atoka. A post office from SEptember 5, 1911, to December 31, 1955. It took its name from nearby Crystal Springs, a well-known campsite.
Daisy In northeastern Atoka county. Post office established April 5, 1906. In 1897, a post office named Etna had been discontinued at this appoximate location. Named for Daisy Beck, local girl
Dayton Formerly Lewis, in Atoka county, 5 miles south of AToka. Post office name changed to DAyton, January 21, 1909, and name changed to Tushka, June 9, 1909.
Farris In southeastern Atoka county, 18 miles southeast of AToka. A post office established May 17, 1902, it was named for John L. Farris, first postmaster.
Geary Station In Atoka county, 6 miles north of AToka. A stage stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route to California which crossed southeastern Oklahoma, 1858-1861. Named for A. W. Geary, local toll-bridge operator. Site now inundated by AToka Reservoir.
Harmony  
Gertrude In Atoka county near Stringtown. A post office from January 11, 1886, to February 1, 1887. No longer in existence, it was named for Gertrude L. Westbrook, first postmaster.
Herbert Present Wardville, in northwestern Atoka county. Post office established February 6, 1902, and name changed to Wardville, July 18, 1907. Named for Herberty WArd, son of H.P. Ward, territorial jurist.
Joburn In Atoka county, 4 miles south of Lehigh. A post office from April 13, 1922, to December 15, 1925. No longer in existence. The name is an anagram of Joseph S. Hilburn, first postmaster.
Lane In southeastern Atoka county. Post office established October 6, 1902. Took its name from the circumstance that the fist post office was located in a store situated at the end of a land bounded by rail fencing.
Limestone Gap In northern Atoka county, 9 miles south of Kiowa. A post office from March 29, 1875, to February 28, 1901, tha name of the post office was Limestone. The locality is now known as Gap.
Peck Present Tushka, in Atoka county. Post office established April 17, 1903, and name changed to Lewis, April 13, 1905.
Potapo In Atoka county, 7 miles east of STringtown. A post office from August 2, 1922, to February 21, 1934. Took its name from nearby Potapo Creek, which had been named for Potapo, a local Choctaw Indian.
Redden In Atoka county, 13 miles northeast of Stringtown. A post office from June 1, 1903, to October 31, 1954. Named for John A. Redden, first postmaster.
Reynolds In northern Atoka county, 3 miles south of Kiowa. A post office from February 19, 1895, to July 31, 1909. Named for H.C. Reynolds, townsite owner.
Rogers Station In northeastern Atoka county, 1 mile north of Wesley. A post office from July 1, 1874, to October 13, 1878. Until October 18, 1877, the official name of the post office was incorrectly spelled Rodgers Station. Named for John P. Rogers, prominent earlyday merchant.
Smallwood  
Standing Rock In northwestern Atoka county. A post office from February 6, 1914, to October 31, 1918. No longer in existence. Took its name from a prominent nearby land feature.
Stringtown In Atoka county, 7 miles northeast of Atoka. Post office established August 17, 1874. For a few weeks in July 1877, the official name of the post office was Sulpher Springs. The name is a modification of Springtown, the original name of the locality.
Tellico  
Tushka Formerly Dayton, in Atoka county, 5 miles south of Atoka. Post office name changed to Tushka, June 9, 1909. The name is the Choctaw word for warrior.
Voca In southern Atoka county, 5 miles northeast of Kenefie. A post office from January 16, 1906, to June 30, 1913. The name is the latin word for mouth or voice.
Waddell's Station Site in Atoka county, 3 miles west of Wesley. A stage stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route to California which crossed southeastern Oklahoma, 1858-1861. Later known as Roger's Station.
Wards Chapel  
Wardville Formerly Herbert, in northern Atoka county, 14 miles northeast of Coalgate. Post office name changed to Wardville, July 18, 1907. Named for H.P. Ward, territorial jurist.
Wesley IN northern Atoka county, 10 miles south of Kiowa. A post office from October 2, 1903, to May 15, 1955.

A lot of the information gathered on the towns above came from the book: Oklahoma Place Names by George H. Shirk.

If you have information, pictures, or anything else for these towns please consider contributing.

 

 

© 1996-2014 by OKGenWeb ~ Atoka Co. Coordinator J. Myles Felihkatubbe
This site last updated: 04 February 2014

State Coordinator: Linda Simpson Asst. State Coordinator: Mel Owings