Canadian County, Oklahoma
1803 - The 905.17 sq miles of land and water now known as Canadian County, Oklahoma was aquired by the United States of America as part of the Louisiana Purchase.
1859 - The Caddo of Louisiana were transferred, from the Brazos Reservation in Texas, to central Oklahoma. Showetat, the last hereditary chief of the Caddo, established his camp on the north bank of the Canadian River about six miles west of present day Union City. He is considered the first permanent resident of present Canadian County
1861 - The Wichita were relocated to the same region. They removed to Kansas during the Civil War.
1865 - The Wichita returned to present Canadian County area.
1867 - The United States and the Plains Indians negotiated the Treaty of Medicine Lodge, Kansas, which set aside land west of the Caddo and Wichita for the Cheyenne and Arapaho.
1869 -Cheyenne and Arapaho were removed from Colorado to present Canadian County area.
1870 - The Cheyenne-Arapaho Agency (later named Darlington Agency for the first Indian agent, Brinton Darlington) was established on the north bank of the North Canadian River.
1874 - Numerous threats of violence between American Indians and cattlemen led to the opening of Fort Reno on the south bank of the river, opposite Darlington.Approximately five years after the fort was established, the first telephone communication in Oklahoma was tested using a telegraph line that had been installed between Fort Sill and Fort Reno.
1889 - Land Run. The first of three land openings for non Indian settlers. El Reno bloomed overnight on the southern bank of the North Canadian River, while Reno City rose on the north shore.
1890 -The Organic Act of 1890, creating Oklahoma Territory, designated the county as County Four, which consisted of the eastern half of present Canadian County.
1892 - The second land opening when the surplus Cheyenne-Arapaho lands were opened to non-Indian settlement. The western half of Canadian County was appended at that time.
1901 - Land lottery. The third land opening The southwestern portion of the present county was added.
1907 - Statehood. Canadian county had 20,110 residents counted.
In early local elections the first residents chose El Reno, over Reno City, Frisco, and Canadian City, as the county seat, and Canadian, after the Canadian River, was selected for the county name. A one-story, frame livery stable served as a the seat of county government until a new structure was built in 1901. This ornate courthouse served the county until a modern building was constructed between 1962 and 1964.
Present day cities and towns are Calumet, Mustang, Okarche, Piedmont, Union City, Yukon, and El Reno.
Neighboring countys are Kingfisher to the north, Oklahoma and Cleveland on the east, Grady on the south, Caddo to the southwest, and Blaine to the northwest.