| Comanche County | Cemeteries | Photos | Researcher | Pioneers | Records | Schools | Census | Helpful Links |

This site is proud to be a part of the USGenWeb and OKGenWeb Project

Harmony School

by Iva (LEE) CABLE

 

     Harmony School was located three miles south of the New Christian Church in 
Fletcher.  It was on the SE corner just across the road from the old CORNWELL place.

     A creek bordered it on the east side, a pasture on the south and dirt roads on the North
and West.  It was just a one room school house with a stage and a small room on each side
of the stage.  It had 2 outside doors, one opened to the road on the West and one opened 
to the road on the North.  It had a wood stove, the wood was carried in and the fire
maintained by the children and teacher.  On cold winter days it was best to have the desk
beside the stove.  A pump was at the NE corner of the schoolhouse.  It had an outhouse,
of course.

     The playground had a merry-go-round and the south side of the fenced area was the
ball ground.

     Kenneth HARREL was a teacher in the late 20's. Teachers from then until opening
of school in the fall of 1939 is unknown.  Marjorie LEE taught during school sessions
of 1939-40 and 1940-41.  Odessa BIRDWELL taught the school year of 1941-42.
The school was closed permanently at that time.

     The school building was used as a community house for several years. Date of
removal from the property is unknown.

Schools   Home

Comanche County OKGenWeb
County Coordinator:
Margie Etter
Co-Coordinator
Sharon Burnett Crawford
This Page Last Updated Friday, 11-Jan-2013 20:45:06 MST
Copyright © 2014