| Comanche County | Cemeteries | Photos | Researcher | Pioneers | Records | Schools | Census | Helpful Links |
This site is proud to be a part of the USGenWeb and OKGenWeb
Communities and Towns of Comanche County
In northeastern part of county, 3 miles south of Sterling. A PO from May 22, 1902 to Dec. 15, 1907. No longer in existence.
12 miles west of Lawton. PO established Jan. 11, 1902. It took its name from nearby Cache Creek, a tributary of the Red River. The word is French meaning as underground storage pit.
6 miles east of Fletcher. PO from August 1, 1904 to Nov. 14, 1905. Named for John Cavnar, a local merchant.
Present day Elgin. PO established April 1, 1902 and name changed to Elgin July 12, 1902. Named for C.G. Jones of OKC, a railroad and industrialist.
Chattanooga Southwest part of county, PO established Jan. 31, 1903. Name comes from Chattanooga, TN
5 miles north of Cache. PO from Aug. 4, 1924 to Aug. 31, 1933. Name was coined with reference to the surrounding Wichita Mountains. Upon the expansion of the Wichita Wild Life Refuge, the park was moved to a new location 2 miles west of Lugert.
Extreme northwestern section of Wichita Wild Life Refuge. Took its name from a savge massacre of a Kiowa village by an Osage hunting party in 1833.
Formerly Ceegee, in the northeastern part of county. PO named changed to Elgin July 12, 1902. Name comes from Elgin, Illinois
Southwestern part of county, 5 miles northeast of Chattanooga. PO established Jan. 7, 1902. Named for Ralph Faxon, private secretary to Chester Long, US senator from Kansas.
Northeastern part of county. PO established May 10, 1902. Named for Fletcher Dodge, local early day resident.
Established Jan. 1869 and occupied continuously since that date. PO established Sept. 28, 1869 to August 15, 1917. Named by Major General P. H. Sheridan for his colleague, Major General Joshua Sill, killed at the Battle of Ston's River.
7 miles south of Lawton. PO established Mar. 5, 1903. Named for well known Apache Indian chief
13 miles southeast of Lawton. PO from Feb. 26, 1902 to Sept. 29, 1906. No longer in existence. Named for Julian W. Haddon, first principal of the Fort Sill Indian School.
Southwestern part of county, 4 miles northeast of Faxon. PO from Jan. 23, 1908 to Aug. 15, 1933. Named for Arthur O. Holliday, first postmaster.
Western part of county, 12 miles east of Snyder. PO established April 23, 1902. The name was coined from the words Indian and Oklahoma.
Southern part of county, 2 miles south of Geronimo. PO from Feb. 20, 1902 to Jan. 31, 1919. No longer in existence.
The county seat. PO established July 15, 1901. Named for Major General Henry W. Lawton, killed during the Philippine insurrection.
Formerly Rucker, 7 miles east of Lawton. PO name changed to Letitia Nov. 28, 1903 and discontinued April 30, 1917. Named for Letitia Haggard, early day resident.
Northwest of Fort Sill. PO established Oct. 13, 1908. Took its name from nearby Medicine Creek.
Northwestern part of county. PO established March 12, 1902. Named for Andrew J. Meers, early day mine operator.
2 miles northeast of Mount Scott. PO from Nov. 13, 1901 to March 15, 1914. No longer in existence. Took it name from nearby Mount Scott.
Northwestern part of county, 7 miles north of Indiahoma. PO from Sept. 27, 1901 to Sept. 30, 1905. No longer inexistence. A mining town, it took its name from the words ore and Anne, the given name of the wife of B.N. Turk, the first postmaster.
7 miles southeast of Lawton. PO from Jan. 11, 1902 to Aug. 15, 1904. No longer in existence. Named for Robert Phelps Simpson, first postmaster.
The airfield for Fort Sill. Named for Lieutenant Henry B. Post, Twenty fifth Infantry, killed in 1914 at San Diego, CA. while attempting an altitude record.
Northern part of county, 12 miles north of Lawton. PO from Nov. 5, 1901 to Feb. 15, 1913. Named for William A. Richards, commission of the General Land Office and governor of Wyoming.
A railroad loading switch several miles south of Richards
7 miles east of Lawton. PO established Aug. 25, 1902 and name changed to Letitia Nov. 28, 1903.
3 miles northeast of Cache. PO from Oct. 17, 1902 to May 31, 1907. Named for Arthur Selman Clark, son of the first postmaster.
Northwestern part of county, 5 miles south of Saddle Mountain. PO from Feb. 18, 1902 to May 15, 1908. No longer in existence. Took its name from Springfield, Ohio.
Northeastern part of county. PO established Oct. 17, 1901. Named for Captain Charles Sterling of the Texas Rangers.
6 miles southwest of Lawton. PO from Dec. 20, 1902 to Aug. 15, 1922. Named for John Tinney, early day resident and merchant.
Western part of county, 6 miles north of Indianhoma. PO from Dec. 17, 1903 to Nov. 15, 1907. Named from Wheeling, West Virginia.
Northwest of Fort Sill/ PO from Dec. 5, 1901 to March 31, 1902. Took its name from nearby Wichita Mountains.
Southwestern Oklahoma, lying from central Comanche Co. to southern Kiowa County. Took its name from the Wichita tribe of Indians.
6 miles east of Fort Sill. PO from March 4, 1902 to Feb. 15, 1908. No longer in existence, it was named for Lewis C. Woodfill, first postmaster.