Home |Archives |
Schools |Surnames | Links
Return to Towns
This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.
The land in this community was allotted to the Chickasaw Indians. Most of the land was the allotments of the S. M. White children, Harvel, Harry and Wilbur. The first school in this community, located seven miles east and one and one-half north of Wynnewood, was built about the year 1900. It was made of logs and served as a school and a church. The seats were benches with backs like park benches. There were no desks as a slate, blue backed speller and an arithmetic book were all that were used. Mr. McQueen was the first teacher.
There was another school, a subscription school, located eight miles east and two and one-halp miles north of Wynnewood, This was called the "Tabernacle" and was also used for church servicesw. It was located on the Henderson Harris farm. It was made of boxing boards around the bottom, with a canvas roof. Dora Smith was one of the first teachers. Brother Butler from Roff and Brother Reeves from Pauls Valley preached here. Martha Carmichael and J.M. McAlister were married here in 1906. To pay for the construction of the Tabernacle the community held box suppers.
The third school, was built in about 1910, seven miles east and three-fourths miles north of Wynnewood, The two acres on which the building was built was patented to School District 23 from the Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations in May, 1909. This school was also used for church services. some of the teachers were, Finch, Yoder, Bowser, Morrison, Harrison, Pipkin, Barnett, Vanderslice, Beck, Courtney, Brashears, Lovelace, Johnston, Carter, Wilburn, Land, Himes and Powell.
Early day preachers were Carmichael, Reeves, Chaffin and Mullins.
In September 1913 the Wynnewood Eastern Telephone Company was founded and the phone line was built through this part of the country. Each person wanting a box was assessed a certain fee and then they must help to keep the line in good condition. One line due east was known as the F line and the line going north and east was the J line.
In 1913 the Wynnewood Oil and Gas Company, with Tom C. Fields as promoter, drilled for the first time for oil seven and one-half miles east of Wynnewood on the Charley Cox land. Jack Sullivan was the geologist. Fred Beddo was an employee. They used cable tools with twelve hour shifts and drilled 1900 feet into a dry hole.
The first store in New Hope was built seven miles east of Wynnewood in 1908. It was owned and operated by T.E. Sterling, father of Mrs. Harry Readnour and Mrs. Burnice Huitt of Wynnewood, It was torn down in 1912. About 1925 C.E. Tate owned and operated a store just south of the school. This store closed in the 1930's. The next store was six miles east of Wynnewood operated by Larry Young. He later sold out to John Grace, and he sold to F.N. Sweetman. This store closed in the 1940's. In 1941, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Readnour operated a store seven miles east of town on Hwy 29. They ran this store for 3 threes before it changed hands several times with Mr. and Mrs. Louis Stubblefield being the last owners.
Early day settlers were Whites, Roadys, Harris's, Smiths, Pickles, Fletchers, Mullins, Carmichaels, Wardwells, Sterlings, Vanderburgs and Bells. F.E. Carmichael, son of T.C. Carmichael, and Wilbur White, son of S.M. White were still residents here in the 1970's.
| US Gen Web
Oklahoma's FGS Project
This page is maintained for the OK Gen Web by the County Coordinator Jeff Smith
A Sincere Thanks To All Contributors !!!!!!
Hosted & Copyrighted 1996-2013 by:
|U.S. GEN WEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.|