Most of the early settlers came to what was later the Brinkman Community in wagons pulled by horses or mules. By 1900 there was a railroad at Granite. The Hill family used this method of transportation when they moved their belongings to the area and homesteaded on a farm south of what was later Brinkman. The Lamperts came by rail to Granite around 1910. Many of the early settlers used their wagons and teams for their family transportation, while some had buggies or surreys.
It was about the time the town was founded, in 1910, that the first automobiles appeared on the scene. In 1916, THE SUMMITT listed the various brands of cars owned by the Brinkman Community. There were 1 Marion Racer, 1 Detroiter, 1 Chevrolet, 1 Empire, 1 Buick, 2 Overlands, 3 Dodges, 3 Salems, 20 Fords.
The newspaper article showed the overwhelming popularity of the Ford cars. They were cheap to buy and easy to keep up and also easy to drive. The narrow tires and the high clearance made them more suitable for the roads in the area at that time. As roads improved and the people became more prosperous, better cars appeared on the scene, but Fords and Chevrolet were always the most popular cars in the Brinkman Community.
World War II brought about problems with transportation. New 1942 cars could not be purchased without a permit from the War Rationing Board. Arthur Summers, the mail carrier, received a permit and purchased a new Ford. L. E. Lott, a farmer, received a permit and purchased a new Chevrolet. The people that already had late model cars were fortunate because it was 1947 before cars became readily available, and many were required to pay bonuses to get the cars. The farmers used their cars to pull trailers to haul their farm produce to market, and the muddy roads took an additional toll on the cars. Most people were able to maintain their cars and made it through the war years with their cars.
The following article appeared in the BRINKMAN COURIER, November 16, 1911.
Team Ran Away Friday
A team belonging to John Cost which was hitched in front of the Massad Store became frightened at a passing automobile and broke the hitch and ran away, partly demolishing the wagon and wrecking a load of household goods.
After racing down the main street the team crossed the railroad and re-crossed it, came around the McClure Lumber Yard tearing away part of the lumber shed in the mad turn and then ran home without checking speed. The damage done by the frightened team amounted to about twenty-five or thirty dollars.
The automobile was owned by J. T. Miller of Altus and parties who saw the auto claimed it was going at a rate of speed greater than EIGHT miles an hour speed limit.
He was brought back to stand trial but he pleaded guilty to the charge of speeding and paid a fine of one dollar and the cost totaling $5.65.Thanks to Kennith Kirby for Brinkman history.