Greer County, Oklahoma, Bibliography
- A History Of Old Greer County And It's Pioneers, Old Greer
County Museum, 1980.
- Greer Frontier, bi-annual publicaton of Greer County
Genealogical and Historical Society, Mangum, OK.
- Western Trails, quarterly publication of Western Trails
Genealogical Society, Altus, OK.
- The Tree Tracers, quarterly publication of
SouthWest Oklahoma Genealogical Society
- The Mangum Star 1898-1900, Greer County, Oklahoma Territory,
newspaper abstracts compiled by Jodean McGuffin Martin, 1994.
- Vinson Memories, Vinson History Book Committee, 1995. (Harmon
- Prairie Echoes(Prairie Hill History), by Darlene Irby.
- Cemetery Records of Jackson County, Oklahoma, by Claudine
- "New Deal Building Programs: The FERA, the WPA, and the Mangum
Community Building," by Cynthia J. Savage, Chronicles of Oklahoma,
Summer 1997, pages 116-127.
- Pictorial History of Jackson County, Oklahoma, Altus Times,
(D-Books, Marcelline, MO) 1995.
- Buckskin Joe, Promoter of Southwestern Oklahoma, by Leo
Kelley, Western Trail Historical Society (Altus Printing Co, Altus) 1990. A
brief account of the eventful life of Joseph S. Works, promoter and
salesman, opening old Greer County to settlers.
- "Old Navjaoe," by Edward Everett Dale, Chronicles of Oklahoma,
Summer 1946, Vol. XXIV, #2, page 128.
- The Brinkman Community, by the Brinkman History Committee
(Weatherford, OK: Schoonmaker Publishers, 2000). Hard bound, 423 pages,
- The Autobiography of The Rambling Longhorn,
T. C. Richardson (Oklahoma City: The Farmer-Stockman, 1959).
Thomas Clarence Richardson (1877-1956) worked as cowboy, teacher, printer in
Old Greer County, and editor, publisher and writer.
- Planning The Route, Harmon History Book, Volume 1 and 2, by
Harmon County History Book Committee. Volume 2 published by Altus Printing
Company, Altus, OK, 1987. 472 pages, pictures. Sections on farming, soldier
boys, schools, churches, communities, family histories are alphabetized,
- "Oklahoma Pioneers in Mexico: The Chamal Colony," John J. Winberry,
The Chronicles of Oklahoma, Vol. 56 (1978).
"Dr. G. F. Border," Thoburn, Joseph B., A Standard History of
Oklahoma, An Authentic Narrative of its Development, 5 v. (Chicago, New
York: The American Historical Society, 1916).
- THE WILLOW COMMUNITY - A History of the
Pioneer Town in Greer County, Ok, It's Surrounding Communities and Families:
1898 - 1994, by
The Willow Community Historical Association, Willow, OK 73673.
What A Dirty Shame!: 100 Unforgettable Place Names of Oklahoma,
by Jim Marion Etter (Stillwater, OK: New Forums Press, 2006). Chapters
on Devil's Canyon, Doan's Crossing, Eldorado, Fairmount Cemetery,
Navajoe, Tin City and other unforgettable places.
Ghost-Town Tales of Oklahoma: Unforgettable Stories of Nearly Forgotten
Places, by Jim Marion Etter (Stillwater, OK: New Forums Press, 1996).
Chapters on Hess, Navajoe and other unforgettable places.
Pioneer History of Old Greer County,
Oklahoma Historical Society - Interviews
Chandler, Hattie, of Altus (Jackson County)
Crabtree, L. A., of Mangum
B., of Mangum
James, of Mangum
of Altus (Jackson County)
(Sampson), of Duke (Jackson County)
Eldridge, Fidela Jane, of Duke (Jackson County)
(Mrs.), of Altus (Jackson County)
W., of Martha (Jackson County)
Joe, of Mangum
Rosie, of Mangum
Mrs. W. S., of Duke (Jackson County)
Maggie Parker, of Altus (Jackson County)
Moore, Mr. G.
C., of Mangum
Mrs. Edna A. Daniel, of Mangum
Maggie Sutherland, of Mangum
Silk, Mr. U.
A., of Mangum
Sutherland, Mrs. Mackie, of Mangum
Sweet, Mrs. J.
L., of Mangum
Lucy Sweet, of Mangum