OKGenWeb

Latimer County
County Seat -
Wilburton
 

USGenWeb
Home | Archives  | Cemeteries | HistoryObitsQueries | Surnames |Additional Links
 

"Links to web sites that are not part of the US Gen Web Project are provided for your convenience and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The US Gen Web Project."

History of Town/Place Names in Latimer County

Map of Town Ships

Source unless otherwise noted: George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names, (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1965). Latimer County - A county in southeastern Oklahoma, created at statehood [1907]. Named for James S. Latimer, a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.

Agtha
In Latimer County near Wilburton. A post office from June 1, 1903 to July 30, 1904. No longer in existence.

Bengal
In eastern Latimer County, 7 miles south of Red Oak. Post office established January 24, 1890. Its name comes from a state in eastern India.

Caminet
Original name for Higgins. Post office established April 1, 1903 and named changed to Higgins, May 28, 1903.
Coosa
In eastern Latimer County, 5 miles south of Red Oak. A post office from April 11, 1897 to June 4, 1896. It name comes from Coosa, a Creek town in Alabama.

Cravens
In Latimer County, 7 miles southeast of Wilburton. A post office from November 3, 1903 to February 15, 1916. No longer in existence.

Damon
In Latimer County, 6 miles southwest of Wilburton. A post office from February 5, 1906 to March 15, 1934. Its name comes from citizen of Syracuse known in history as the ostage for Pythias.

Fagan
In Latimer County near Red Oak. A post office from August 17, 1894 to November 16, 1897.

Falfa
In Latimer County, 8 miles west of Talihina. A post office from June 6, 1919 to March 15, 1923.

Gordon
In Latimer County, 9 miles southeast of Wilburton. A post office from March 5, 1894 to December 14, 1901, it was named for James H. Gordon, McAlester attorney.

Gowen
In western Latimer County. Post office established January 13, 1894. Named for Francis I. Gowen, Philadelphia attorney.

Higgins
Formerly Caminet. In western Latimer County, 6 miles southeast of Hartshorne, Pittsburg Co. Post office name changed to Higgins, May 28, 1903 and discontinued December 31, 1913. Named for R. W. Higgins, territorial jurist. Also see Pusley's Station.

Holloway's Station
Site in Latimer County, 7 miles northeast of Red Oak. A stage stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route to California, which crossed southeastern Oklahoma, 1858-1861. Named for William Holloway, stage agent.

Hughes
In Latimer County, 5 miles east of Red Oak. A post office from May 17, 1900 to July 15, 1931.

Laura
In southern Latimer County, 12 miles west of Talihina, LeFlore Co., OK. A post office from June 3, 1910 to May 1, 1924.

Lodi
In Latimer County, 6 miles northeast of Red Oak. A post office from March 23, 1894 to April 15, 1955. Named for Lodi Latimer, daughter of prominent early day resident.

Lutie
Formerly Ola. In Latimer County, 3 miles east of Wilburton. Post office name changed to Lutie, October 4, 1901, and discontinued January 31, 1942. Named for Lutie Hailey Walcott, daughter of Dr. D. M. Hailey, prominent territorial leader.

Mountain
In Latimer County, 6 miles southwest of Wilburton. A post office from October 10, 1873 to May 6, 1886. No longer in existence. Took its name from Mountain Station atop Blue Mountain, a stage stand on the overland mail route.

Ola
In Latimer County, 3 miles east of Wilburton. A post office established May 1, 1886 and name changed to Lutie, October 4, 1901.

Panola
In Latimer County, 7 miles east of Wilburton. Post office established March 18, 1911.

Patterson
Formerly Thurston. In Latimer County, 6 miles northwest of Wilburton. Post office named changed to Patterson, October 31, 1906 and discontinued October 17, 1922.

Pusley's Station
Site in southwest Latimer County near Higgins. A stage stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route to California which crossed southeastern Oklahoma, 1858-1861. Named for Silas Pusley, local trader.

Recyl
In western Latimer County, 7 miles southeast of Hartshorne, Pittsburg Co., OK. A post office from December 16, 1916 to October 15, 1935.

Red Oak
In eastern Latimer County, 14 miles east of Wilburton. Post office established March 11, 1868. Took its name from a well known red oak tree standing for many years in the center of the town.

Riddle's Station
Site in Latimer County, 5 miles east of Wilburton. A stage stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route to California which crossed southeastern Oklahoma, 1858-1861. Named for John Riddle, local merchant and trader.

Thurston
In Latimer County, 6 miles northwest of Wilburton. Post office established December 23, 1904 and name changed to Patterson, October 31, 1906.

Wilburton
County seat of Latimer County. Post office established January 2, 1891. Named for Elisha Wilbur, president of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. George A. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names, (Norman: University of Oklahoma, 1965). -- Different opinion -- Named for Will Burton, a contractor on the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad. Angie Debo, Oklahoma: A Guide to the Sooner State (1st ed; Norman: University of Oklahoma).

Yanush
In southern Latimer County, 6 miles north of Tuskahoma, Pushmataha Co., OK. A post office from February 6, 1911 to October 15, 1925. The name is a Choctaw word meaning "buffalo," and the post office took its name from nearby Buffalo Creek.
Information transcribed by Marti Graham, OK Gen Web Assist. State Coordinator, 2/97
 


This page was last updated on 02/02/11

Latimer County Oklahoma Fosterin
Latimer County Oklahoma
 USGenWeb
Oklahoma's FGS Project

 

Oklahoma Family Group Sheets
All States Family Group Sheet Project

OK Gen Web State Coordinator
Linda Simpson
Asst: Mel Owings
1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved

This page is maintained for the OK Gen Web  by Jeff Smith
 

Animated US Flag
God Bless America

A Sincere Thanks To All Contributors !!!!!!

Hosted & Copyrighted 1996-2014 by:
OKGenWeb

U.S. GEN WEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.