|Hoover School is
located on the Murray county line at the site of Ft. Arbuckle. After
Ft. Arbuckle closed and moved to the site of Ft. Sill, many people still
lived near the old fort's site. The post office was changed in name
from Ft. Arbuckle to Arbuckle. Some time later, the name was
change to Hoover in honor of a local doctor. Although Hoover was in
Garvin county, the school was consolidated with Howard school to form the
Joint Consolidated School District #1. In English, that means that
Murray and Garvin County shared the expenses and Murray county
administered the school. Later the Howard-Hoover School was
consolidated to the Woodland School. This group of people were a
church group posed for a photograph in front of the Hoover school in 1902.
Contributed by Dennis Muncrief, November 2001.