School House

Pictures

Schools of Murray County

Iona

      Palmer

 

There were many small, one room school houses dotting the prairie and mountain communities of Murray County at the turn of the century. In 1908, there were 30 districts.  By 1936, there were at least 23 school districts in the county.  Many of the wooden structures are no longer in existence.  Some of the brick and stone buildings are now in use by farmers and ranchers as hay  and equipment barns.  This list is by no means all inclusive and we will be adding to the list as we learn of the schools.   Click here for some photos of the old schools.

 


Colbert School - 1999

This is the condition of most Murray County Schools that still exists today.  They are used  either as a tool shed or hay barns.  This old school is located in Sec. 11, T 1S, R 1E; or 3 miles west and 1 mile south of Davis.

SCHOOL DISTRICT MAP

Davis Oak Grove
Hickory Rocky Point
Rock Creek Scullin
Drake Sulphur
Fletcher Nebo
Big Canyon Sunshine
Red Oak Crusher
Dougherty Koller
Moss Sorghum Flat
Colbert Woodland
Carr Chapel Joy
Fairview

Chigley

Chickasaw Hills

Hoover

Goose Nest

Prices Chapel

Old Mountain School

Howard

Buckhorn

Valley View

 

History of Pioneer Schools of the Arbuckles

Oklahoma School for the Deaf

School Districts - 1908

1917 Class - Davis High School       1918 Davis High School Yearbook     1920 Davis High School Yearbook

1923 School Districts With dates of Annexation and Locations of School.

1924 Colbert School Picture with Names.

1927 School District Officers

What happened to the old school buildings?

The History of Woodland School.

Dougherty School built before 1900.

 

This Page Was Last Updated Thursday, 03-Dec-2009 21:48:48 MST