Okmulgee County

Okmulgee County
County Seat -

Home | Archives  |  Cemeteries | ObitsSurnames | Look ups | Queries | Additional Links


Towns  & Information
Some Towns' Histories by Genealogy Trails

Okmulgee County Place Names
The following are towns, both presently populated as well as those no longer in existence.
If you have additional information about any of these, please contact the Okmulgee County Coordinator.





Bald Hill

Post office from 1896 to 1908. Named for a prominent nearby land feature.
7 miles N of Morris
Post office from 1900 to present. Named for C. H. Beggs of St. Louis, vice president of the Frisco Railroad.
10 miles NW of Okmulgee

Post office from 1905 to 1954.
5 miles SW of Henryetta
Post office 1909 to 1941. Named for the local coal mines.
4 miles N of Dewar
Post office from 1905 to 1910. Named for Eli Cobb, first postmaster.
Near Morris.

Post office from 1909 to present. Named for William P. Dewar, official of the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad.
3 miles E of Henryetta
Post office from 1913 to 1949. Named for Dighton Harding, son of M.B. Harding, first postmaster. Originally known as Bartlett.
6 miles NE of Henryetta
Post office from 1913 to 1950. Name formed from the first letters of the four children of Ed Oates, local Creek: Eugene, Roderick, Anthony, and Marie.
5 miles E of Morris
Present Henryetta. Post office from 1899; name changed in 1900. Named for Albert C. Furr, longtime local resident.
Present-day Henryetta
Post office 1909 to 1914. Named for W.J. Gaither, local resident.
Central Okmulgee County
Previously known as 'Wild Cat' or 'Wildcat'. Post office name changed from Wild Cat to Grayson 1902 until 1929. Named for George W. Grayson, Creek tribal leader. One of 25 all-black towns in Indian Territory.
11 miles SE of Okmulgee

Hamilton Switch
Local name for Preston.
7 miles north of Okmulgee
Post office from 1909. Name changed to Nuyaka in 1912. Named for John D. Hance, local merchant.
10 miles west of Okmulgee
Post office from 1909 to 1910. No longer in existence. Named for James Hector, first postmaster.
12 miles east of Haskell
Also known as 'Hector'
12 miles east of Haskell
Formerly known as Furrs - name changed in 1900. Named for Henry G. Beard and his wife Etta Ray Beard.

Formerly known as Senora. Post office name changed to Hoardsville 1909, closed 1917. Named for John H. Hoard, first postmaster.
3 miles south of Dewar
Oklahoma historian George H. Shirk asserts that the town was named for Oklahoma City attorney Roy V. Hoffman. The community lies one mile south of U.S. Highway 266 on County Roads E1050/N4030.
A post office was established on December 18, 1905

Post office 1910 to 1912. No longer in existence. Named for J. E. Jeness, merchant and prominent early resident.
8 miles southwest of Okmulgee
Post office from 1916 to 1936. Name derived from Coosa, a Creek town in Alabama.
2 miles northeast of Dewar

Post office established 1903. Named for H.E. Morris a railroad official from Joplin, MO.
Central Okmulgee County
Post office from 1905 to 1910. Name is Latin for nature.
9 miles east of Beggs
Also known as 'Nuyaka Mission' and formerly known as 'Hance'. Site of Nuyaka Mission, established 1882 by Alice Robertson. Post office name changed to Nuyaka 1912 to 1954 (discontinued). Name is a Creek corruption for "New Yorker Town", a Creek town in Alabama.
9 miles west of Okmulgee
County seat of Okmulgee County and was the Record Town for Recording District No. 9, Indian Territory. Also the capital of the Creek Nation. Post office established in 1869. Until 1883, the official spelling for the post office was "Okmulkee". The name comes from a creek town in Russell County, AL, and is a Creek word oki mulgi, meaning 'boiling waters'.

Post office 1894 to 1898. Named for A.D. Orcutt, prominent local rancher.
5 miles north of Beggs

First known locally as Hamilton Switch. Post office established 1909. Named for Harry Preston, Okmulgee oil operator.
7 miles north of Okmulgee

Post office established 1903. Named for Matt Schulter, St. Louis judge.
6 miles north of Henryetta
Previous name for Hoardsville. Post office established in 1896 until name change in 1909. Named for Senora Likowski, mother of Frank Likowski, first postmaster.
3 miles south of Dewar
Post office 1903 to 1915. Named for Joseph W. Sharp, first postmaster.
5 miles southwest of Okmulgee

Post office 1890 to 1891. Named for Moty Tiger, Creek Chief.
6 miles northwest of Okmulgee
Post office 1917 to 1926. Named for Oscar Tolan, first postmaster.
3 miles northwest of Nuyaka
Also known as Wild Cat and later as Grayson. Post office from 1897 until name change in 1902. One of 25 all-black towns in Indian Territory.
11 miles southwest of Okmulgee

Post office 1898 to 1900. Named for Yarrow, County Selkirk, Scotland.
5 miles northeast of Beggs

Note: all comments, unless otherwise noted are excerpted from Oklahoma Place Names by George Shirk, 1974 edition.

This page was last updated on 03/23/12

Okmulgee Co
Okmulgee Co. Oklahoma

 US Gen Web
Oklahoma's FGS Project

Oklahoma Family Group Sheets
All States Family Group Sheet Project

OK Gen Web State Coordinator
Linda Simpson
ASC Mel Owings
1996-Present ~ All Rights Reserved

This page is maintained for the OK Gen Web  by County Coordinator Linda Simpson




U.S. GEN WEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free Information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Files may be printed or copied for Personal use only. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.