Hazel was a small pioneer town started in 1901. It was 1/2 mile south of another little town called Goznell that had started about the same time. It had no post office or train depot. After only six months, the residents of Hazel moved their town north to Goznell, and Hazel vanished away. Eventually, Goznell (Hazel/Goznell) did get a train depot. But when the train arrived, the railroad renamed the city! To Frederick.
Goznell was a small pioneer town started in 1901. It was 1/2 mile north of another little town called Hazel that had started about the same time. Unlike Hazel, Goznell had a post office which drew residents towards the north and led to the move of Hazel to Goznell as the two towns merged into one. Eventually, Goznell (Hazel/Goznell) did get a train depot. But when the train arrived, the railroad renamed the city! To Frederick.
Isadore was a small town that was designated by the governement with the opening of the Big Pasture area for settlement. That was in 1906. Isadore was situated 11 miles east and 1 1/2 miles south of Frederick. The few residents were unable to convince the railroad to stop there so the little town floundered. A train depot was opened in nearby Holister instead. The Isadore post office went with the railroad and soon the town followed.
Parton was located 2 miles east of Holister. As the railroad approached the cluster of little towns including Holister, Isadore and Parton, there was a battle to get a train depot. Holister won over the other towns and Parton took its turn folding into Holister.
Siboney began 13 miles north of Frederick in 1902. When the railroad came to the area there was an intense rivalry between Siboney and Manitou for the rights to a depot. At that time, Manitou had an abundance of water that Siboney was lacking. Manitou won the train depot, had the water, and left Siboney in the dust.
Thacker started in 1901, 2 miles west of Manitou. It lasted 2 or 3 years, but never really flourished. It did have a post office and a school, but no train depot.
Tillman was started in 1920. For a short time, it was six miles north and 1/2 mile east of Grandfield. It had a train depot, and school, but no post office. It started out healthy and hopeful, but ran into hard times and money problems stunted its growth. Eventually, even the train quit visiting Tillman, and as a town it just faded away
Quanah started in 1906 seven miles west and 1 mile north of Grandfield. It was chartered with the opening for settlement of the Big Pasture area. It had no post office or train depot, and faded away not too long after it had started.
Texowa combined with another old pioneer town named Olds to become Davidson, Oklahoma.
Olds combined with another old pioneer town named Texowa to become Davidson, Oklahoma.
Eschiti combined with another old pioneer town named Kell City to become Grandfield, Oklahoma.
Kell City combined with another old pioneer town named Eschiti to become Grandfield, Oklahoma.