Located about 6 miles south and 18 miles west of Cordell, Oklahoma.
Section 34, Township 9 North, Range 20 West. A post office from
February 1901 to February 1940. William H. Bunch was the first post
master. Town named for Mrs. F. M. Port, local druggist.
Founded shortly after the opening of the Cheyenne and
Arapaho Reservation, Port developed as an agricultural and school
community. Before statehood Port had a population of 150-200. A cotton
gin, two general stores, a drugstore, blacksmith shop, bank, two
saloons, and a undertaker made up the businesses of the town. The
undertaker is remember for the odd sign over his door, "Cold Drinks
and Coffins". By 1910 the business area increased to include a hotel,
an elevator, a telephone exchange and four additional general stores.
The saloons were noticeable missing from the list of businesses. The
growth of the town was also aided because of a conflict between
neighboring villages of East Wood and West Wood.
Port was noted for its schools. During the first year a
subscription school was taught in a dugout. The original school
district, established in 1893 included more than ten square miles. In
1922 several districts consolidated. During the 1930s it was the
largest district in area in Oklahoma, including almost ninety square
Port began declining as a trade center soon after the
Orient railroad was build through Sentinel. Improved roads, the
automobile, consolidation and mechanization of from caused Port to
become a ghost town.